Saturday, April 13, 2013

Our Official Renaming Ceremony


For weeks we have known that the name of our new boat would be Volaré. And today was the official day.  I picked up the vinyl name from the graphic company a couple of days ago and my girlfriend, who is an expert in applying boat graphics, helped me put it on before the ceremony.  What I thought would take 30 minutes took almost 2 hours due to the intricacy of the design.  Jason and I spent many days finding the perfect compass rose and font to get a style we felt matched the boat.  Once installed, we covered it for an official unveiling.




We invited closed to 70 people to share this special day with us.  When it turned out to be cold and overcast, we were afraid our party would shrink significantly.  That wasn’t the case. 

Rear Commodore Bruce Davis from our club, Shoreline Yacht Club, came in dress whites fully prepared for the ceremony.  He thoroughly researched protocol and advised that champagne, lots of it, was needed to appease the gods.  So, we had lots of Champagne and being sailors, lots of rum.

Bruce performed the official ceremony, during which I poured the requisite amount of champagne into the sea. We unveiled the name.  And the party rolled on.











My name may have buoyancy enough to float upon the sea of time.
Richard Watson Gilder

No comments:

Post a Comment